(July 25 — August 4)
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”
– Jim Elliot
Facts (Source: Wikipedia/CIA — The World Factbook)
Ecuador, officially the Republic of Ecuador (República del Ecuador, literally, “Republic of the equator“) is a representative democratic republic in South America, bordered by Colombia on the north, by Peru on the east and south, and by the Pacific Ocean to the west. The country also includes the Galápagos Islands in the Pacific, about 965 kilometers (600 miles) west of the mainland.
Ecuador straddles the equator, from which it takes its name, and has an area of 256,371 square kilometers (98,985 mi²). Its capital city is Quito; its largest city is Guayaquil. It has a population of over 13 million, the majority of whom are under 64 years old with a median age of 24-25 composed almost equally between men and women.
Approximately 95% percent of Ecuadorians are Roman Catholic. In the rural parts of Ecuador, indigenous beliefs and Christianity are sometimes syncretized. Most festivals and annual parades are based on religious celebrations, many incorporating a mixture of rites and icons.
Thus, the demographic our team will most likely encounter will be young, native Ecuadorian men and women with a strong Roman Catholic upbringing.
We have had two previous scouting trips to Ecuador seeking to develop a partnership with the local church there, Good Samaritan Church (GSC), and their pastor Jose. As a result of those efforts, this will be our first short-term mission team to Ecuador. God-willing, the trip will be successful in establishing a long-term relationship with GSC. The church is located in the Guachala area in the town of Juan Montalvo, which is about 2 ohurs NE of the capital, Quito.
During our stay, the team will be ministering to the brothers and sisters at GSC in the following areas:
- Pastors Gary Takahashi & David Yu will be ministering to and training the pastors of GSC;
- Team members will be involved in serving the local children through teaching VBS; and
- Team members will be doing construction work on the church building.
These are general prayer requests for the Ecuador Team. Please also keep in prayer the individual prayer requests from the team members you have supported.
- For the spiritual growth of the members of Good Samaritan Church and Pastor Jose and his family
- For the success of the VBS program in spreading interest amongst the local families
- For Pastor Gary & Pastor David as they preach and teach
- For opportunities to present the gospel
- For an attitude of sensitivity in terms of the culture; boldness in terms of the gospel; love, joy, and humility in terms of serving
- For the physical well-being of the team
- For God be glorified in all things
Pastor Gary Takahashi, Pastor David Yu, Mark Choi, Marie Cuevas, Benjamin Hom, Sheila Lachica, Christina Lau, Stephanie Lee, Tony Lee, Yoonjin Park, Stephen and Jenn Runyan and Matthew Tweedie.
CGBC Summer Team 2008: Patrick & Sheryl Tsai
The Tsai Family will be part of the Summer Mission Team from Chinese Grace Bible Church (their chrurch from No. Cal).
Pat will be serving as a missionary dentist and Sheryl will be involved with the women’s ministry & VBS, as well as giving a talk about women’s health.
Please keep them in prayer as you pray for the IBC Ecuador Team.